More Eyewitnesses Tell Their Stories of Cryptid Encounters

NCS Case Files 2

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word cryptid as “An animal whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated, such as the yeti.”  For the following witnesses to living cryptids, there is no dispute.  This is the second in a series of National Cryptid Society’s case files, in which you will read what the witnesses themselves have experienced.

Keep an open mind when reading these accounts, and also remember one’s perception and memory of an event can be influenced by the emotions felt at the time of the occurrence. The contributors to this series of articles are doing the best they can to recount what are in some cases very shocking and traumatic experiences.

As more witnesses come forth and tell their stories, perhaps more people will pay closer attention to their surroundings.

If you have a personal cryptid sighting story you would like to tell us, our contact information is at the bottom of this article.

NCS Case File #11: Bat-Creature with Human Face in Hawaii

Courtesy of GGU_Kakashi

“Here in Hawai’i, one of my friends said he walked into his room one night and saw a “giant bat with a human face” attached to the outside of his window, which is about 50 feet off the ground. I asked my friend if his mom was pregnant at the time, he said yes. Reason I asked is because Manananggal are said to prey on the fetus’ of pregnant women.”

NCS Case File #12: Imps Invade Family Home

Submitted by schexnab

“Well, what I saw were small creatures that infested mine and my family’s home. I’ve seen learned that these are called “imps”. They are about 2 feet tall, are very fast, showed up in the autumn in our home. This had been my husband’s house prior to my own and he had seen them prior to my seeing them.

Our daughter was about 4 when we moved out. Later in her life, she is now 21, she could describe their faces in detail. Having been small herself, she had a clearer view of them…  My daughter said that it was menacing. It had pointed ears, large sharp teeth, a wrinkled, leathery skin and a pig, pug style nose. She said that it had a mean expression on its face.”

NCS Case File #13: Unknown Creature Runs Through Yard in Pahrump, Nevada and Disappears.

Submitted by Alan

“It was around 1:30 a.m. in July 2015. I was outside in my backyard working on my chainsaw getting it ready for a day of cutting wood. I was in the middle of sharpening my chain when I heard so rustling coming from the other side of the house and the sound started getting louder so I stopped what I was doing to focus on what i was hearing. It sounded light but fast, all of a sudden out of the shadows came this creature that wasn’t a dog nor a pig or anything that i have ever seen in my life.

This creature came running right up to me about five feet in front of me and made almost a perfect 90 degree left hand turn, when it did I was able to take a good look at it. It was hairless and had an elongated nose with large ears and a long tail, all were hairless. Hate to say it but after it made the left turn i made a turn to the safety of my house. I say it again I Have Never Seen Anything Like That!!!!!

My wife was wondering why I flew through the door freaking out, I told her about what i saw so we both grabbed our flashlights (After I changed my shorts… Just Kidding) and we headed outside to try to find some tracks. We did find some and followed them from where I heard it coming towards me and after the turn that took it out towards the back of our property (which is all dirt we live in the desert) the tracks cut back towards the way it came from and in the middle of the dirt the tracks just stopped. One thing about the tracks that I do remember is they were more hoof like than paws.”

NCS Case File #14: Shadow Creature in Anacoco, Louisiana

Submitted by Kim

“I was sitting on my front porch talking to my best friend. We were lost in conversation and we both heard someone running through my house.

We talked about whether the back door was locked because we were sitting right beside the front door and there were no side doors. We talked about whether it could have been just the floor shifting that made it sound like someone just ran through the house. We went inside and no one was inside the house.

Later on, we were back on the front porch talking and there was this thick black fog, shadow thing that we both saw. It was like a large weird shaped ball of just jet black color. Like a shadow that light could not pass through. It stayed for a few minutes at the roof part of the porch and then disappeared. Neither of us know if we were simply tired and both imagined it or if it actually did happen but we both saw it and could not see the roof of the porch or around this shadow.

It never happened again.”

NCS Case File #15: Ball of Light in New Zealand

Submitted by Steve

“Not an animal, creature or monster but a “light” in New Zealand we had lived there for 6 years. I was sleeping on bunk beds with my sister and around midnight, I woke up to hear a faint yet distinct “whing/bin” sound. *bin bin whing bin bin bin whing” a combination of the two but more “bin” I’m like what? A streetlight? My sister playing candy crush in the middle of night?

I glanced under the bed at my sister. Nothing. Nothing. Now I’m kinda panicking and slowly look arout trying to find the source of the noise. I look at the curtains and see a faint blueish-white-purple light illuminating them (the curtains were pure white). I slowly spread the curtains and see this blue-white eliptical “sun” 1 meter across and around 15 meters away from the house and 30 meters up ( I don’t exactly remember) I’m like ‘oh shit’ I was reading about lightning balls before but why is this one so big and why was it that shape. Why is the thing so bright but the light it casts is so dim?

I’m not sure what happened next but I woke up late and asked my friend Sam at school who lived a block away if he heard anything last night. He said he heard the whing bin bin too but I’m not sure if he is telling the truth or was I just seeing things that night. I’m sure what I saw was real though. That’s the only thing I have seen that I cannot explain.”

NCS Case File #16: Massive Dogman Wins Airsoft Battle in NW Wisconsin

Submitted by trigger1154

“I am an outdoorsman, I’m very experienced in hunting, camping, hiking, and general survival. I’m very familiar and used to wildlife, and I was charged by what I believe was a cryptid called a dogman, it charged me and my cousin, it was not a bear, a bear cannot move how it did, and it was not a normal wolf as they can’t comfortably run on 2 legs whereas what charged us seemed natural at doing.

This happened around June or July of 2007 I believe, I was around 17 years old and more cocky then, but still somewhat knowledgeable of the outdoors. My family used to own a cabin in NW Wisconsin, I basically grew up there in the summer, I knew the woods well, but at night it was wise to stay in the cabin or at least by the bonfire by the beach, because of bears, wolves, and cougars. One of the creepiest things was if you were having a bonfire, the treeline was visible from the fire pit and beach, and at night you always felt like you were being watched from that treeline. But during the day the woods always seemed normal, not so creepy, that is until this incident.

So this happened somewhere between 1200-1400. Me and my cousin were having an Airsoft battle, I was in full woodland camo, he was not, I retreated onto the ATV trail into the woods for a tactical advantage and our battle took us about 200 meters in to about a third of the way up the trail. We had enough at this point and were standing at the edge of a clearing on the trail talking and he was maybe 10 feet from me, when I decided to mess with him, I shushed him and said “we’re being watched”, he froze, then I realized the woods were dead quiet and I got spooked and started scanning the treeline and the other edge of the clearing from left to right when I saw it.

It’s teeth gave it away, it was panting and staring at my cousin, I don’t expect you to believe me, but what I saw was a wolf as big as a black bear, at least 300lbs, but it wasn’t normal, this wolf was on two legs crouching next to tree with its arm grasping the tree, grasping with a clawed hand, it had reddish brown fur. I told my cousin that “we have to go” and next thing I know he is sprinting and I look back at wolfy who had locked on and sprinted a few steps on two feet and then I turned and ran when it looked like wolfy was dropping to all fours, it charged us and sounded right on our asses barreling through the brush, but for whatever reason let us go when we broke out of the tree line and headed for the cabin.

What stuck with me the most was the sheer size, wolfy appeared to be nearly 7′ tall when upright, and that where it should’ve had front paws it appeared to have large clawed hands. Now I’m not sure how to explain it away rationally, I have heard wolves will occasionally kind of walk upright but as far as I know they can’t sprint on 2 legs, nor do wolves get that big, and black bears more waddle on 2 legs. The closest description is silly, a werewolf or dogman.”

NCS Case File #17: Black Panther Sightings in Australia

Submitted by Lasair

“I believe I’ve seen the black panther/cat. I was around age 11-12, returning home from a friend’s house. The sun had just set, and as I rounded the house to the back entrance, I saw a HUGE black cat sitting on its haunches at the end of our back yard. I locked eyes with this thing and was struck with terror. I froze for a split second before making the decision to take a chance and bolt to the back porch. Looked back once I was in the porch and it was gone.

The woods and ravines behind my house never bothered me until I saw that thing. Always felt uneasy being in/around them after sunset from that point on. But meh, still an amazing place to grow up near as a kid.”

NCS Case File #18: Giant White Dog Sighted in Upstate New York

Submitted by: Skull_storm

“I once saw this giant white dog that almost had a lion type face, it was at 3 am driving home from a relative’s house up in the boonies of upstate NY (Olean area). My husband was driving and I saw it first and didn’t say anything because I figured it was just a large dog, but its movements were very slow and creepy. But after we passed it he asked me if I saw that and what the hell was it?

It was walking really slowly to cross the street which was odd because 1) it’s 3am and I don’t know who would let their ginormous dog out that late in their front yard, and 2) it was heading toward the other side of the road which is just a small area of forests and then a lake. Also normally when you have your brights on and approach an animal, they would look up and run away etc but this one just looked straight ahead and kept walking just as slowly.

Anyhoo, it could have just been a really big dog but it was definitely creepy and seemed abnormal. This was about 4 years ago and we still bring it up occasionally.”

NCS Case File #19: A Bark-Skinned Giant Swings from the Trees in Peguis First Nation Manitoba, Canada

Submitted by: bescaredlater

“In late summer of 2015, I was traveling with a friend. We were on our way to another friend’s house about 3 hrs away from the city. Along the way were garage sales and so we perused and ended up buying several knick-knacks. Anyhow, to get to my friend’s place we had to drive through a reservation and half way through the reservation, I saw a giant.

It was about 6:30pm, the sun was still out and this giant was swinging in the trees. Its skin looked like tree bark and it was happy. I just starred at it in disbelief for about 5 minutes. I didn’t say anything until I was out of the vehicle and in my friend’s house. I think I didn’t say anything because in the country, I feel exposed and I feel as though everything can see me. A year later, I went to see a medicine woman in the city and I asked her about it, she told me it was a shape-shifting Sasquatch.”

NCS Case File #20: Fairies Scare the Hell out of Pipe-Smoking, Cane-Wielding, Big German Man in Bavaria

Submitted by Meistermalkav

“Basically, I think I saw fairies, but I am not sure. To preface it, I am against going “omg, cryptid”, because it gives a sense of going “I already dun know what I saw, haw haw haw.”

That being said, I walk on a cane, thanks to illness, but I do enjoy the woods where I grew up in. You can tell me all about how the woods are scary and bad, but to a German country boy, going through the woods in Bavaria, clocking in at over 6 feet, with a sturdy cane, there is not much terrifying shit going on. Worst I ever saw was a single confused wild Boar. It went on the way, noticed me smoking my pipe, grunted, and went away. Keeping my distance from it, and I did not fuck with it. Live and let live. Probably was as confused to see me as I was to see it.

Now, after a few years, I had the wanderlust again, so when I went to my mothers to visit her, who lives kind of near a wood, I went like, let’s have a pipe (Of tobacco, if necessary, you seem to have to clarify it when Americans are present…), and a stroll through the woods.

Now, the climate was typical for Bavaria, nice wind, some clouds, but a bit towards the evening. So, after walking for a while, with my headphones in, I get this tickle on the back of my neck. Now, I must repeat this here. I am over 6 feet, built to scale, and I have a cane. I have seen nothing scarier than the master woodsman tapping me on the shoulder asking me what the fuck is wrong with me for smoking in the woods, with his gun suspiciously almost pointed at me. I am not scared of shit, and I can use that cane if worst comes to worst to give anybody quite a thrashing.

I pull the headphones, and check my senses. Sight is clear. I just hear this noise…. like a very spastic squirrel running full speed into a pile of dead leaves. Strange, but not unheard of. Squirrels usually have this kind of madness about them, and to be honest, it’s not hurting anybody, so fuck it, let them run. I treat it like drunk people. As long as they are not hurting anybody, fine by me, I have done silly shit in my life.

I grab my cane closer, put my headphones on low, and put them back in, keeping, you know, an ear out for trouble. I walk on, and the tickling does not go away. And I keep thinking this through, because, what the fuck, I usually don’t react this way. Then it hits me.

I have walked for perhaps 10 minutes, and the skittering sound has not disappeared. That must be one dedicated squirrel. I think, well, maybe it wants some nuts, or something, or is just bored out of its mind, or shit…. Nothing harmfull, right? After all, from the skittering noise, it’s light, it’s making way too much noise to be sneaky, so… I get curious.

I turn around, and track the skittering, like just by seeing where the noise is the strongest, and where the motion is. As anybody knows who has played hide and seek in the woods, pretty effective. I suddenly notice the skittering is in front of me, to the right, near where an old logging road goes off from the way, and I am thinking, heh, am I going to see a squirrel drunk on bad apples or what? Might be worth a chuckle. So I just go, “HARUMPH”, because if they are actually scared of me, this gives them time to fuck off. Nothing. Skittering continues. So, I put my best swagger on, and as I look around the curve, I see it.

In the half dark of the forest, hanging in mid air, about 25 to 30 meters away, is a glowing blue light. A soft glow, I give you that, but still, a glow, swaying side to side. And right where the skittering is supposed to be, by my ears. Only I stare at it, and I notice, it’s dead quiet. No skittering. No nothing. Just dead quiet. It is hanging there, in mid air, roughly at knee level, and I am looking at it, not knowing what to make of it. It is eerily still.

Then, the skittering sets in again, and it moves towards me. Not swaying side to side, not floundering about, but straight at me. Bee line straight.

Now, as I said before, I am 6 foot plus, I am by no means a small guy, and I have a good stable cane with me, but the horror I felt at that thing…. I noped out of there. I am not squeamish against anything, I know my forest critters, and I know the occasional prank, because gods know I played some in my days. I just noped out of there for roughly half an hour, at top speeds, until I was near civilization.

Now, if I had to describe what really freaked me out, and believe me, I thought long and hard about it, you know those horror movies? Where they have the trope like squelching violins? And you know, soon, something will happen? Mix that with nails on a chalkboard, but remove all sounds. Leave just your response to it.

Now, as I said, there was no rational reason to be that afraid. Looking back, I doubt whatever it was could have seriously withstood a blow with the cane, just based on size. Now for all I know, some jackass caught himself a squirrel, drugged it with enough caffeine and meth to make it skitter like crazy, and painted it with bioluminescent paint. No qualms about it, I just didn’t see it with my eyes, because of the light levels, haha.

What really got to me though was that feeling of suddenly, without a buildup, having that horror, and that flee reaction. I am not a small man. Even for a German, and a Bavarian, I am tall. And I have the mass to back it up. But for a simple blue light to scare the shit out of me like that…. makes you think.

Never saw the light again, not sure what it was, but goddamn it, I have since then not stepped foot again in that wood, and I prefer walking the open fields and the village to village roads before I go back at dusk to this place in the woods. And before you go, “could it have been them Will-o’-the-wisps“, I never heard of Will-o’-the-wisps in non swampy areas.”

Read National Cryptid Society Case Files 1st Edition for case files 1-10.

If you or someone you know has had an encounter with a cryptid, strange creature or what you could only describe as some kind of monster, tell us your story!

You can submit your sighting directly to us HERE.

And to get up-to-date information on our articles, please like and follow the National Cryptid Society’s Facebook Page.

National Cryptid Society